Monday, August 26, 2013

Working Girl

Today was my first full day of au pairing and my second full day of only speaking French. Needless to say I'm exhausted. 

Yesterday was rather relaxing for me. It was raining all day so Perrine took Cléo to see a movie while Fréd played tennis with his coworkers. Meanwhile I had run of the house. Bliss! At about 4pm Fréd came home and about an hour later he and I made out way to the small tennis club just around the block. It consists of 2 outdoor classic concrete courts and 3 indoor courts with a carpet like surface. It is seriously SO bizarre, but lots of fun!! Fred and I played for about and hour, really smashing the ball back and forth. I could keep up with him for the most part, though he is very, very good. Playing with Fréd was a way for him to assess my playing level so I can be paired with women of my same skill. Tennis is very competitive here and it is ALL about your level ranking. Sheesh, anyone hear of leisurely playing tennis? Obviously not the French...

I will be hearing from the club soon with playing times with other women. Fréd thinks I'm good enough to play on the team there too! Playing on the team just allows for friendly competitions and a cheaper monthly club fee. I'll take it!!

So today my muscles are aching. I decided to have a slow morning of laundry and playing with Scribbles, the pet bunny. 

Cléo arrived home about 12:30 today, so I made us both some lunch and played My Little Ponies with her for about 3 hours. Cléo then put on some music she likes to dance to which is almost identical to my entire music playlist. As we danced around the kitchen to "call me maybe", I couldn't help but think...This girl is the 5 yr old French me...

Perrine came home about 6 and from then on I was off the clock. She and I spoke a bit about how our days went (en français of course) and I was able to keep up! Of course we won't be discussing Proust over a glass of red anytime soon. 

Yet another day has passed in chez Oudeville and I am still very happy here! Miss you all very much!! Bonne soirée!

Xoxoxo
Claire

Meet Scribbles: the pet bunny I'll be trying not to kill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment