Saturday, August 24, 2013

Couch surfing

Today is my last English speaking day with my host family. So what better way to spend it than meeting new people in the city of Lille and practicing my French! I'll explain:

A few friends of mine had introduced me to an incredible community called Couch Surfing. It's a travelers best friend when traveling alone or going to a new place. It's a website that allows people to offer up their couches for sejourners to sleep on for free rather than paying for hostels or expensive hotels. You also get to meet incredible people, see the town through a locals perspective, and create friendships.

So I looked into the Lille area for fellow couch surfers and voila! Thousands of fellow travel lovers looking to meet new people! I put up a post about being new in town as an au pair and asking if anyone wanted to meet up to help me with my French and in exchange I could help with English. Not 5 minutes later I had 7 people contact me with loads of info, meet up times, and phone numbers. Commence euphoria!

So today I went into the city of Lille and met up with a young guy who made sure to only speak French with me and I to him. He took me all over, showed me cute cafés, the best shopping, best bars, etc. Despite the grey skies and wet cobble stone streets, we trekked our way all over town. We stopped for some vegetarian lunch (again...so dense), then headed to an art museum, and lastly the zoo! By the end of the day my mind was fried with French. But I am feeling confident for tomorrow's start if 100% French. And the fact that everyone here finds my American accent while speaking French "trop mignon" (too cute). 

When I got home about 8pm, Perrine and Fréd were setting up for a small dinner gathering with their friends who I then met with kisses on both cheeks and some French/English small talk. I was so exhausted though that I enjoyed one beer with the family and guests, but then went to my bedroom to get some sleep. 

Tomorrow, Fréd and I will be playing tennis so I can see the tennis club and decide if I care to join or not. Hopefully all goes well. 

Time to rest for my big day of French speaking tomorrow. Yikes. 

Bonne nuit! Xoxo
Claire




1 comment:

  1. Hi Clairie-belle,
    You sound absolutely fabulous! So proud of you and your adventursome spirit. Sounds like you're adjusting just fine. And here I was worried. Phwew! You're gonna be alright kiddo.
    Love the blog! Keep it coming. Will tune in daily to see what's going on. Question- was the guy cute? Lol
    Now go kick some arse in tennis! Tee here
    Love from waynesville!
    Xoxo
    P.s. Kitten says bon jour. She's doing fine. Will send photos and give you progress updates.

    ReplyDelete