Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cheers From London!

This past weekend I took the ridiculously fast, 1 hour and 20 min train ride from Lille to London town. I was a bit nervous to take the train at first knowing that it would be going under the water, BUT I knew London would be too fun to pass up. I left Friday evening after getting Cleo from school and off I went to visit a friend. 

Now...get ready for this train ride experience....

ready?! ok...

I took my seat with 3 other passengers, about my age, 2 guys and 1 girl, that were making their way to London from Brussels. At first we didn't talk because they thought I was French and I just wanted to relax and listen to my music. However, I couldn't help but hear their American accents and conversations of Chipotle and shopping at J. Crew. I knew I had to ask where they were from...

They all answered with a friendly smile and in unison said "Chicago!"

....shut up...

So I had to ask where in Chicago. One guy was from Libertyville (a town not far AT ALL from Hoffman Estates where I'm from), then they said they all work for a finance company that originally had them all working in Deerfield, IL (again...a town I visit quite frequently back home). For now though, the 3 Chicagoans continue to work for the same company, but in Brussels. As we continued to discuss all the things we missed most in Chicago, the conversations changed to Universities and where we all graduated. When I said I went to BGSU, the other guy looked at me in awe and said "you mean...in Ohio?"

to which I replied "of course!"
He then tells me he is from Dayton, OH and the other girl is from Cincinnati, OH and that they both graduated from Miami University.

That's right....the other guy is not only from Dayton....but more specifically...Beavercreek.

SHUT. UP.

Small world, RIGHT?!

We immediately bought beers on the train and gabbed the rest of the way about Chicago things, Ohio things, and Dayton things. By the end of the trip, we were the loud Americans on the train. It was incredibly funny and serendipitous. We are now all Facebook friends and will hopefully see each other again soon.


London Time!
 

Though my weekend was a short visit to London, I can't help but constantly miss such a lovely city. Friday night my friend and I went to dinner and had a quiet night in since I arrived late that night.

Saturday we went to Borough Market which was wonderful! It is this huge market where there are tons of different booths with foods from all over the world. Tons of smells, colors, languages spoken, weird food, delicious food, everything you could ever want was in this cool warehouse type structure. After meandering around we decided to try some duck sandwiches (seemed to be a big favorite). Oh man...they were incredible.


  
This is right by a cafe just across from the Market. Too cute!

After we had lunch it started to rain so we walked along the bank of the Thames and had some coffee for a bit. Then continued our walk to Westminster and past Big Ben just as 3:00 struck: Perfection.

We saw Buckingham palace, St. James park, and finished off sight seeing by taking the public transport of the double-decker red bus back to West London where my friend lives. It's such a charming area with quiet streets, cute shopping, and classic English brownstone type flats.


 We stopped for a couple pints of Guinness at a local pub to watch the Rugby game where my friend attempted to explain the game to me. I'll tell you...Rugby is one hell of a sport. Really fun to watch though! I think I'm hooked!

We finished off a full day of walking, sightseeing, and being "oh so English" at a cute little restaurant where covers of the Beatles played in the background speakers while we enjoyed dinner.

Considering that it's England, I had some seriously delicious meals...I was impressed.

(It's still not France though)

Sunday afternoon I returned home to Lille and converted back to my French speaking mind. It's incredible how quickly I can lose my French when I don't speak it for a matter of days...

I could easily live in London. It really is a wonderful city. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford to rent a cardboard box there. I should start saving now...

Cheers! Bisous!
Claire


No comments:

Post a Comment